What is Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy?
Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy is the latest advancement of reproductive science, an innovative therapeutic method that contributes to the balance of FSH, E2, AMH, LH levels, impacting the reconstitution of the menstrual cycle, even if it has already stopped. The most common question our patients ask is what is the difference between the various types of it, so let’s clear things out a bit!
- Ovarian Rejuvenation with PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma): The insertion of PRP into the ovaries is administered with a nonsurgical, transvaginal ultrasound-guided injection performed under sedation with an anesthetic agent. This is a very similar procedure that is used for egg retrieval in IVF but the approach is less invasive, safer, and the recovery is shorter and more comfortable. Treatment is performed by Dr. Koufomichail, Dr. Garavelas, Dr. Fraidakis-Crete Fertility Centre, Dr. Papanikolaou, and Dr. Grigorakis.
- Laparoscopic PRP: another PRP method that is even more efficient. The idea here is that the ovary is initially prepared and exposed with appropriate incisions, allowing the PRP to reach the ovarian circulation accurately. It is best recommended:
- When the ovaries are atrophic (early menopause) and therefore very small.
- When the ovaries are out of position (referring to cases of patients with endometriosis)
- EnPLAF by Dr. Papanikolaou: With EnPLAF, the ultrasound-guided ovarian injection technique is identical to PRP. But what is inserted into ovarian tissue is highly enriched (and platelet-free) autologous growth factors instead. Studies indicate that the concentration of growth factors may be as much as 10-15 times higher than with PRP alone. Advantage of the EnPlaf is that it can be refrigerated or even frozen for future use.
- EnPRP by Crete Fertility Centre: An advanced PRP method with direct injection of proteins and growth factors into the ovaries after special treatment and centrifugation of platelets. The most important benefit of the EnPRP is that it contains a higher concentration of growth factors.
- Ovarian Rejuvenation Fortasc by Dr. Garavelas: A combination of PRP FORTE II 4th generation, and Granulocyte Colony-Stimulating Factor (G-CSF). This combination is to increase reproductive potentiality in patients who are poor responders.
- Laparoscopic Fortasc by Dr. Garavelas: Laparoscopy, being a surgical procedure, involves a small incision, requires general anesthesia and longer operating. The idea behind this method, that Dr. Garavelas developed, is that the ovary is initially prepared and exposed with appropriate incisions, which allow the PRP to accurately reach the ovarian circulation. The incisions cause local activation of growth factors that prepares the ground for the PRP receptor.
- Renovo 2 by Dr. Garavelas: A most recent technique, currently performed only by Dr. Garavelas and his team in IoLife IASO. The technology is based on the principles of regenerative medicine, the purpose of which is to restore “the biological environment,” imitating and accelerating the body’s own regeneration processes. It consists of the administration of a small amount of enriched plasma in each ovary in a procedure similar to the puncture of oocytes. It is an outpatient treatment, and the patient can return home after a brief observation period.
- Stem Cell Ovarian Rejuvenation by Dr. Garavelas: A new innovative technique against premature menopause that uses stem cells from adipose tissue. It is a treatment for premature menopause based on the use of autologous adipose-derived stem cells (ADSCs), i.e. obtained from the fat of the person who will undergo the treatment. It is indicated in case of infertility and interruption of the menstrual cycle. This type of treatment is most used when patients have amenorrhea, osteoporosis, depression, heart disease, and infertility struggles.
- Transvaginal PRP Ovarian Rejuvenation by Dr. Grigorakis: At the end of this procedure, doctor gets the active plasma containing a large amount of growth factors, including PDGF, TGF-β, VEGF, EGF, and many others. This method had and has good results.
For any inquiries, don’t hesitate to contact us! You can always email us or book a free call with our customer success manager to further guide you through your fertility journey.