Dr. Nikolaos Vergados is an Orthopaedic Surgeon at the 2nd Orthopaedic Clinic of Hygeia Hospital. He specializes in sports medicine and injury, orthopaedic surgery, problems of the ankle and the foot, and in traumatology.
He is a PhD Candidate at the Medical School of the University of Athens, Greece, and his research focuses on bone healing for diabetic patients.
Dr. Vergados has graduated from the Medical School of the University of Athens, Greece, in 1999 with honours, his thesis being titled ‘’Upper limb ligations– Long term results’’. He is currently a PhD Candidate at the Medical School of the University of Athens, researching “The effect of bone healing in bone metabolic indexes of diabetic patients”.
Dr. Nikolaos Vergados is an Orthopaedic Surgeon at the 2nd Orthopaedic Clinic of “Hygeia’’ Hospital since April 2010. He has also worked for 5 years at the Orthopedic Clinic of ‘’Laikon’’ General Hospital in Athens, Greece and for 9 months at the Orthopaedic Clinic of ‘’251’’ General Air Force Hospital in Athens. From July 2003 to February 2004 he worked at the Athens Medical Center Department of Sports Injury. From January 2000 to January 2011 he was one of the Doctors in the Hellenic Football Federation.
Dr. Vergados was a member of the Organizing Committee of the postgraduate courses of the Ankle and Foot Society for 10 consecutive years, from 2005 until 2014. He was also a member of the Organizing Committees of several Greek and international Orthopaedic congresses. He is a Lecturer on educational content courses for the nursing staff of ‘’Hygeia’’ Hospital since 2011 and he is also a member of the Board of Directors of the Scientific Association of ‘’Hygeia’’ Hospital Doctors since 2014.
Dr. Vergados has participated in the writing of the book titled “The rheumatoid foot’’, which is authored by Ε. Dounis andΧ.Moutsopoulos. He has also contributed to the translation of the book titled ‘’OxfordHandbook of Sports Medicine’’ (edited byΑ.Mitsou).
His recent publications (up to 2010) are:
- Proximalhumeralfractureosteosynthesiswith titanium locking plate, 66th Panhellenic Orthopaedic Congress, Athens, October 13-16, 2010.
- Surgicaltreatmentofmiddle-third clavicle fractures, 66th Panhellenic Orthopaedic Congress, Athens, October 13-16, 2010.
- The functional result of the surgical treatment of intra-articular fractures of the distal humerus, 67thPanhellenic Orthopaedic Congress, Athens, October 12-16, 2011
- Surgical treatment of the Achilles Tendon ruptures, 68thPanhellenic Orthopaedic Congress, Athens, October 3-6,2012
- Arthrodesis of the first metatarsophalangeal joint for the treatment of severe hallux valgus deformities, 68th Panhellenic Orthopaedic Congress, Athens, October 3-6, 2012
- The opening base wedge osteotomy of the first metatarsal for the treatment of severe hallux valgus deformities, 68thPanhellenic Orthopaedic Congress, Athens, October 3-6, 2012
- Risk factors and treatment of venous thrombosis in orthopedic surgery, 2nd Panhellenic Thrombosis Congress – Antithrombotictherapy, Athens, April 11-12, 2014
In 2008, Dr. Vergados won the Best Paper Award at the Annual Conference of the Ankle and Foot Department in Nafplio (“Foot: Problems and Treatment Principles”).
Dr. Nikolaos Vergados is a registered member of the
- European Foot and Ankle Society
- Sports Medical Society (ATHLETIA)
- Hellenic Orthopaedic and Traumatology Society
- Institute For The Study and Education On Thrombosis And Antithrombotic Therapy (I.S.E.T.A.T.)
- Foot and Ankle society of the Hellenic Association of Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology
- Medical Association of Athens, Greece
He was member of the Board of Directors of the Hellenic Orthopaedic and Traumatology Society from 2007 to 2008 and member of the Management Committee of the College of Greek Orthopaedic Surgeons in 2007.